Monday, December 05, 2005

OBS Camp 2005

Outward Bound Singapore Camp
(28 November 2005 – 02 December 2005)

Reflections

Initially, we were a group of strangers coming together as a watch, to go through all the exciting activities awaiting us during the up-coming 5 days and 4 nights camp. Gradually, we got to know each other through games, and activities like tent pitching, hiking and kayaking.

The people from Marco Polo watch and Tenzing watch are like a big family during these 5 days. Everyone helped one and other during the tough times, and sharing all the laughers together. It is a very heart-warming. We played games like finding the home tree, and participated in kayaking, and hiking, which really bonded everyone together. These activities have highlighted the importance of unity in achieving group goals.

This camp has given me a unique opportunity to experience the outdoors and explore my limits. Being challenged through a series of height, land and sea activities, I got to know myself, my strengths and weaknesses better. I am afraid of the dark or being alone, but able to work as a team with the other members, also able to lead the group during the sea expenditure are my strengths.

Through this camp I have learnt how to pitch a stable tent on a hard ground, besides tent pitching on the usual soil ground. I have also learnt how to cook. Besides learning such survival skills, the instructors also share with us stories which teaches us some life skills.
Things like being positive despite facing challenges or difficulties, working together as a group, give the best of you; all these will really enrich me as a better person, after coming back from the camp.

I have a lot of my first times during this camp, in spite of having some camping experience before this. My first time cooking, first time tent pitching on a hard ground using rocks to secure the tent, first time using a outdoor toilet, first time carrying such a heavy haversack and go hiking, first time sleeping in a wet tent, first time doing belaying, first time walking in the dark forest without using torchlight, first time kayaking around a island despite having some kayaking experience back in my secondary school days, first time really enjoy coming to a camp.

I have no regrets coming to this OBS camp, although on the first day of the camp I felt like going home. However, it was fun and enjoyable, exciting and adventurous. It is beyond words to describe my feelings after joining this camp. But true enough, it is an experience of a lifetime.


Wong Chun Yan, 1S29

No comments: